MOONPIE OVER MOBILE: Ring in 2018
Forget about the other been-there, seen-that ball drops and join more than 50,000 revelers New Year’s Eve in downtown Mobile. The New Year’s Eve MoonPie Drop is like having the best annual celebrations all wrapped up in one. It is as colorful and jubilant as Mardi Gras, as festive as the 4th of July and full of giddy anticipation like Christmas Eve. READ MORE
While the rest of the country is taking down their Christmas decorations, here in Coastal Alabama we just adjust the color scheme and get ready for Mardi Gras! And the first to kick off the party are two parades on Dauphin Island. On Saturday, January 13, the Krewe de la Dauphine takes to the streets, followed on Saturday, January 20 by the Dauphin Island People’s Parade.
The parade pace is just what you’d expect on the island. It’s slower and more laid back, making it ideal for families. Here the float riders toss treats to the crowd, often leaning over to meet an outstretched hand.
Even though the vibe is relaxed, you don’t want to wait to make the drive. Traffic backs up across the bridge as crowds make the trek to get their first beads of the season. Get the full details on all parades here.
REGIONAL VIEW: Mardi Gras Revelry
Mardi Gras in Coastal Alabama is so much more than a series of parades and balls. It is a source of the originality and spirit of the people of our region. Join us as we celebrate on land and on water. Catch a few beads and MoonPies with a few thousands of your coastal friends. READ MORE
On the Eastern Shore, shopping local now comes with a little bit of Christmas magic. The “Eastern Shore Elf” is visiting a different Eastern Shore retailer each day, offering customers great deals and chances to win prizes.
The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce will feature where the “Eastern Shore Elf” is each day on their social media sites, and let shoppers know where they can find him. Stores are offering great discounts and promotions while he’s there.
“It’s going to be exciting to see where he shows up each day and just like with the ‘Elf on the Shelf’ holiday tradition, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets into a little mischief,” said Eastern Shore Chamber President Casey Williams.
Each night the Eastern Shore Elf will leave a little clue on the Chamber’s Facebook page where he’s headed next. The first to guess where he’s going will win a prize from that shop.
Shoppers can also win an amazing gift basket worth more than $500, just by sharing their selfie with the elfie in the comments of the daily Elf Post on the Chamber’s Facebook page. The gift basket is overflowing with prizes from each participating retailer and the winner will be announced December 27 on the Chamber’s Facebook page.
“This is a fun way to get shoppers engaged with our local stores and we hope they’ll find a new favorite place to shop. It gives us an opportunity to truly highlight each of these locations and all the great gift ideas available locally,” said Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Communications Director Denise Curtis.
The Eastern Shore Elf’s visit runs from Black Friday till Christmas Eve. To keep track of him, follow the “Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce” on Facebook, @eschamber on Twitter, or @easternshorecc on Instagram. Also look for the hashtag #EasternShoreElf.
GRAND BAY NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
Life is in transition in the Grand Bay National Wildlife Refuge where fresh water and salt water merge to form a truly unique ecosystem. Explore this South Mobile County gem and gain appreciation for its special role in our region. LEARN MORE
From farm to bottle. That’s the delicious way of life at Perdido Vineyards in Perdido, Alabama. Here you can discover sweet muscadine wine, wine vinegars and hot sauces. LEARN MORE
The breeze from the Gulf inspires artists in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach to create stunning works. Find them at The Coastal Arts Center of Orange Beach, the Gulf Coast Arts Alliance in Gulf Shores and other locations. LEARN MORE
HOLMES MEDICAL MUSEUM
A visit to the Holmes Medical Museum in Foley will give you a deeper appreciation for today’s modern medical facilities. Displays include surgical instruments, operating room machinery and a human skeleton. LEARN MORE
BOWL TIME IN MOBILE
Appalachian State And Toledo will face off in the 2017 Dollar General Bowl on December 23. Then on January 27, tomorrow’s NFL stars take the field for the Reese’s Senior Bowl. Cheer from the stands at Ladd-Peebles Stadium as we celebrate these bowl games.
- Through December 21: Trim-A-Tree Arts & Crafts, Foley
- Through December 23: Holiday Ducks, Mobile
- Through December 24: Arctic Express, Wales West Light Railway, Silverhill
- Through December 29: Ice Skating Rink at The Wharf, Orange Beachhrough December 31: Magic Christmas in Lights, Bellingrath Gardens and Home
- Through January 1, 2018: Christmas Nights of Lights, Mobile
- Through January 5: 5 Rivers Delta Resource Center presents the Smithsonian’s Museum on Mainstreet “Water/Ways” Exhibition, Spanish Fort
- Through March 4: Ice Skating At The Fort, Mobile
- December 14: The Elf Ride, Daphne
- December 14, 19-21: Fairhope Brewing Company’s 4th Annual 12 Bartenders of Christmas
- December 15-April 15: Titanic Honour & Glory, History Museum of Mobile
- December 15, 17: Holiday Movies at the Saenger, Mobile
- December 16: Breakfast with Santa, Gulf Shores
- December 16: Horse & Carriage Rides at The Wharf, Orange BeachDecember 16: Charlie Brown Jazz Christmas Concert, Mobile
- December 28: Dollar General Bowl, Mobile
- December 29: Last Friday Art Night, Dauphin Island
- December 30: 2017 Make it to the Line 4 Mile Run/Walk & 1 Mile Fun Run, Flora-Bama
- December 31: Noon Year’s Eve at LuLu’s, Gulf Shores
- December 31: MoonPie Over Mobile New Year’s Eve Celebrate
- December 31: Reelin’ in the New Year at The Wharf, Orange Beach
- December 31: Flora-Bama’s New Year’s Eve Bash
- December 31: Fairhope’s New Year’s Eve Family Celebration
- December 31: New Years Eve at Perdido Beach Resort, Orange Beach
- January 1: 7th Annual Kiwanis Polar Bear Dip, Gulf Shores
- January 1: Flora-Bama Polar Bear Dip
- January 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, February 6, 13, 20, 27: Civil War Tour Series, Fort Morgan, Gulf Shores
- January 3, 17, February 7, 21: Boardwalk Talks, Estuarium at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab
- January 4-13: Some Enchanted Evening ~ The Music of Rodgers & Hammerstein, Gulf Shores
- January 5, February 2: Fairhope First Friday Art Walk
- January 7: Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, Mobile
- January 9: Foley Snowbird Welcome Coffee
- January 13 – February 13: Area Mardi Gras Parades
- January 14: Servis 1st Bank First Light Marathon, Mobile
- January 27: Snowbird Fest, Orange Beach
- January 27: Reese’s Senior Bowl, Mobile
- January 28: 2018 Big Beach Marathon & Half Marathon, Gulf Shores
- January 29-30: 2018 Winter Edition of Small Town, Big Beach Productions presents Moscow Meets Manhattan Dueling Pianos Plus, Gulf Shores
- February 3: 2018 Flora-Bama Annual Super Chili Bowl Cook Off
- February 5-6: 2018 Winter Edition of Small Town, Big Beach Productions presents Jukebox Broadway, Gulf Shores
- February 8: 26th Annual Alabama Lifestyles EXPO, Orange Beach