There’s an adventure around every corner in SOMO (South Mobile). Adrenaline junkies looking for their next big, deep sea fishing catch; history buffs ready to explore Historic Fort Gaines, and beach lovers looking for miles of pristine sand and surf will all find a home-away-from-home in the communities of South Mobile. SOMO is rich in wildlife, Southern culture and natural wonders. From the beaches of Dauphin Island, the banks of Fowl River and the grandeur of Bellingrath Gardens to the charming atmosphere and unrivaled seafood of Bayou La Batre and Coden, SOMO offers a family-friendly spot to spend while away the days. SOMO is also home to one of the few dog-friendly beaches left in the country at Dauphin Island.
Visitors to SOMO enjoy spectacular sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico, bike trails, birdwatching and so much more. Annual festivals and events bring visitors from far and near. Plan your South Mobile vacation during one of these unique events:
Blessing of the Fleet
Roy Martin Young Anglers Tournament
Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo
Dauphin Island Art Trail
Daytrips of South Mobile
Day 1: Gardens, Marine Life and Historic Battles
- Spend your morning walking 65 acres of lush foliage at Bellingrath Gardens & Home in Theodore. After your garden walk, explore the 1935 historic estate home filled with priceless antiques.
- Take a drive to Dauphin Island and spend the afternoon learning about the marine life of Gulf coast waterways through touch tanks and aquariums at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab’s Estuarium.
- Step back in time at Historic Fort Gaines, where the Battle of Mobile Bay was fought. Watch a blacksmith in action and get an up-close look at a soldier’s life on the grounds of the fort.
- Top off your day with fresh, Gulf seafood from one of the many restaurants in the SOMO communities.
Day 2: Fishing, Birding and Afternoon Swimming
- SOMO is known for its world-class fishing. Experience it firsthand via a charter fishing adventure with an experienced captain on the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
- After you’ve reeled in dinner, take a leisurely stroll through the Audubon Bird Sanctuary on Dauphin Island. The sanctuary boasts 137 acres of maritime forest, marshes and dunes, including a lake, swamp and a beach. The three-mile trail system has been designated as a National Recreational Trail.
- Hit the beach for fun in the sun on Dauphin Island. Build a sandcastle, get lost in your favorite book or splash in the surf with your fur child.
- Stay on the beach long enough to enjoy a breathtaking sunset. Then, head back to your beach house or condo to cook your fresh catch from the morning fishing trip.
Day 3: Seafood, Southern Culture and Back to the Races
- Take a scenic drive through the seafood capital of the South, Bayou La Batre. Watch the shrimp boats cruise in and feel at home on tree-lined streets draped in Spanish moss in Irvington. Enjoy historic homes and other historic sites along your drive.
- In Irvington, find your seat in the stands at the Mobile International Speedway and watch race car drivers battle it out.
- For more adrenaline-pumping fun, visit the Mobile Greyhound Park in Theodore. If you place your bets on a memorial vacation in SOMO, you’ll win every time!